From relational databases to cloud databases: Using the right tool for the right job
Who is this presentation for?
- Developers, data engineers, and database administrators
Enterprises adopt cloud platforms such as AWS for agility, elasticity, and cost savings. Database design and management requires a different mindset in AWS when compared to traditional relational database management system (RDBMS) design.
Gowrishankar Balasubramanian and Rajeev Srinivasan highlight the best practices in choosing the right data storage, data migration strategies, and tools used for data processing and storage on an AWS cloud platform. They also explore real-life case studies from various industries to illustrate these concepts. You’ll go hands-on to evaluate the application use cases, decide on the target data store, and migrate a sample relational schema into AWS cloud using AWS DMS. You’ll leverage the AWS services such as Amazon DynamoDB, Amazon S3, and Amazon relational database service (RDS).
- A working knowledge of AWS cloud (virtual private cloud [VPC], RDS, DynamoDB, CloudFormation, and S3) and relational databases
Materials or downloads needed in advance
- A laptop with admin privileges and an AWS account with necessary IAM privileges to launch resources
Please download and install one of the below SQL Clients to connect to Oracle (12x) and PostgreSQL (10x) instances. Suggested tools are provided below.
- https://dbeaver.io/download (Community edition -supports both Oracle and PostgreSQL)
- workbench.eu/downloads.html (supports both Oracle and PostgreSQL)
- https://www.oracle.com/database/technologies/instant-client/downloads.html (Instant client with SQLPLus for connecting to Oracle only).
- https://www.pgadmin.org/download/(only for PostgreSQL connectivity)
What you'll learn
- Learn the importance of choosing the right database technologies on AWS cloud based on application use case for better cost efficiency, performance, and availability
- Discover the the tools available for database migration, monitoring, and management
Amazon Web Services
Gowri Balasubramanian is a senior solutions architect at Amazon Web Services. He works with AWS customers to provide guidance and technical assistance on both relational and NoSQL database services, helping them improve the value of their solutions when using AWS.
Amazon Web Services
Rajeev Srinivasan is a senior solutions architect for AWS. He works very closely with its customers to provide big data and NoSQL solution leveraging the AWS platform. He enjoys coding, and in his spare time, he enjoys riding his motorcycle and reading books.
Comments on this page are now closed.
For conference registration information and customer service
For more information on community discounts and trade opportunities with O’Reilly conferences
For information on exhibiting or sponsoring a conference
For media/analyst press inquires