It’s natural in many projects to put the responsibility of responding to API calls, with their highly variable computing needs, on the same infrastructure that serves webpages and assets. A “serverless” architecture, which uses API Gateway to route calls to AWS Lambda for on-demand, pay-by-the-millisecond execution, removes load from web servers and avoids paying for an instant of wasted idle time while scaling flawlessly to handle any volume. The presenter—Bill Boulden, CTO—will walk you through all the steps of creating a functioning serverless API that coexists alongside conventionally served web pages.
This training is for you because:
• You’re a Node.js or Python developer of moderate or higher proficiency and you want to start serving requests as-a-service (the course will be taught in Node.js, but course materials will be provided in Python although not taught)
• You’re an infrastructure or API architect interested in saving money on server fleets
• You’re an infrastructure or API architect who expects your application to scale rapidly in the near future and you want your API to stay available regardless of load
• Moderate or higher proficiency in Node.js or Python (the course will be taught in Node.js, but equivalent scripts/program materials will be provided in Python although not taught)
• Very basic understanding of domain names
• Very basic understanding of relational databases
• Familiarity with API concepts such as statelessness and RESTfulness
• An AWS account. Costs will be miniscule—in the single digit cents—but many Lambda and API Gateway features are not available on free tier.
By the end of this course, you’ll understand:
• What compute-on-demand means and what its advantages are
• What the interactions between API Gateway and Lambda are and how to use them
• What extra context and objects are used to interact with the Lambda environment
• The benefits of serverless architectures compared to traditional API server fleets, autoscaled or not.
And you’ll be able to:
• Upload and update functions in Lambda
• Interpret RESTful API requests and serve responses from Lambda
• Create and manage an API Gateway
• Configure an API Gateway to answer HTTP requests
• Make business decisions about when Serverless APIs make sense
Bill Boulden has been developing software since the age of 6. In 2014, he left his role as API Architect at Delaware North Companies to become the lead engineer and eventual Chief Technology Officer of ClearView Social. In his time at ClearView, he has migrated a vm-driven infrastructure to an autoscaling application fleet with serverless components. Running serverless applications in production has given him a unique perspective on architecture and application delivery for modern companies. In his spare time, he’s a pink-haired house music DJ by the name of Spruke who enjoys EDM and generative ambient music.
Help us make this conference the best it can be for you. Have questions you'd like this speaker to address? Suggestions for issues that deserve extra attention? Feedback that you'd like to share with the speaker and other attendees?
Join the conversation here (requires login)
©2018, O'Reilly Media, Inc. • (800) 889-8969 or (707) 827-7019 • Monday-Friday 7:30am-5pm PT • All trademarks and registered trademarks appearing on oreilly.com are the property of their respective owners. • firstname.lastname@example.org