Conversion rate optimization (CRO) has become a well-known term in recent years, and is most likely a focus of most businesses. However, many businesses still fail to develop the culture within their organization to support true CRO, often leaving departments at odds with each other and optimization ideas left on the drawing board.
We’ll dive into ideas to bridge the gap between the CRO drivers in your organization, and to bring your team’s goals and focus into alignment. Drawing on real-world examples and reviewing tools and techniques available, we’ll present ideas to help improve the end-to-end user experience by making CRO a key tenet of each department in your organization.
• Applying CRO concepts to your entire organization:
o Fundamentals of CRO
Track metrics reliably – come up with a way to track data points over time
Pick a metric and focus on optimizing it
Statistical confidence – knowing when to end a test
o Areas of your organization that can be optimized
• The typical ‘CRO’ area – optimizing conversions by testing your marketing message.
• Metrics: conversion rate, revenue/visitor
• Make things simple for the user – UI optimizations, device (mobile) optimizations, prefilling data
• Metrics: time to complete goal, page views/visit, support requests
• Making things fast for the user – optimizing page speed, database speed
• Metrics: load time, speed index, slow queries log
• Making your site stable – even when scaling to high amounts of users/data. Logging errors
• Metrics: uptime %, mean time to failure, avg downtime length, max concurrent users, bug/error rate
• Making your customers happy
• Metrics: daily support requests, avg time to resolve, retention rate
o Wrapping up
Implementing a testing culture – always be testing!
Jon Correll is the co-founder and CEO of Conversion Voodoo, where he had the opportunity to work with companies like Experian, Intuit, Bookit.com and more. In March of 2014, Jon decided to bring to companies of all sizes the power of their systems to use on their own websites. And Voodoo Alerts was born. Jon has spoken as a conversion rate optimization expert at PPC Summit, John Carlton’s Action Seminar, The Internet’s Elite Retreat, Jay Abraham’s Online Marketing Summit, and others.