Learning Presto: SQL on anything
Who is this presentation for?
- Data engineers, data architects, software engineers, and those in IT
Used by Facebook, Netflix, Airbnb, LinkedIn, Twitter, Uber, and others, Presto has become the ubiquitous open source software for SQL on anything. Presto was built from the ground up for fast interactive SQL analytics against disparate data sources ranging in size from GBs to PBs.
Join Matt Fuller to learn how to use Presto and explore use cases and best practices you can implement today. The tutorial will include optional hands-on exercises, but those who don’t want to participate in the exercises can follow along.
- Presto overview and history
- Presto architecture and technical concepts
- Getting started with Presto
- Migrating from Hive
- Administering Presto
- Security in Presto
- Query federation
- Presto on cloud environments (including AWS Athena)
- Advanced Presto concepts and tuning
- Joining the Presto open source community
- A basic understanding of SQL, databases, Hadoop, and distributed systems
Materials or downloads needed in advance
- A laptop with the ability to SSH into a remote machine
- An AWS account or Docker installed on your laptop
What you'll learn
- Learn Presto fundamentals as well as some advanced topics
Matt Fuller is cofounder at Starburst, the Presto company. Matt has held engineering roles in the data warehousing and analytics space for the past 10 years. Previously, he was director of engineering at Teradata, leading engineering teams working on Presto, and was part of the team that led the initiative to bring open source, in particular Presto, to Teradata’s products. Before that, Matt architected and led development efforts for the next-generation distributed SQL engine at Hadapt (acquired by Teradata in 2014) and was an early engineer at Vertica Systems (acquired by HP), where he worked on the Query Optimizer.
Leave a Comment or Question
Help us make this conference the best it can be for you. Have questions you'd like this speaker to address? Suggestions for issues that deserve extra attention? Feedback that you'd like to share with the speaker and other attendees?
Join the conversation here (requires login)
For conference registration information and customer service
For more information on community discounts and trade opportunities with O’Reilly conferences
For information on exhibiting or sponsoring a conference
View a complete list of Strata Data Conference contacts