Hands-on data science with Python
What you'll learn, and how you can apply it
- Understand the basics of machine learning, feature engineering, anomaly detection, and recommendation engines
- Explore scikit-learn fundamentals
- Learn to create machine learning processes with scikit-learn
- Evaluate and apply machine learning to real-world problems
Who is this presentation for?
- You're a software engineer or programmer with a background in Python, and you want to develop a basic understanding of machine learning.
- You're in a nontechnical role, and you want to more effectively communicate about machine learning with the engineers and data scientists in your company.
- A working knowledge of Python
- Familiarity with pandas (useful but not required)
Day 1: Anomaly detection
- Data format and goal
- Limitations of time series data
- Detrending and seasonality
- Windowing and local scores
- Setting thresholds for classification
- Online learning
Day 2: Recommendation engines
- Overview of data and its wrangling
- Item-item correlations and finding similar items
- User similarity and predicting user ratings
- Collaborative filtering
- Evaluating model performance
About your instructor
Michael Cullan is a data scientist in residence at the Data Incubator, where he combines a passion for teaching and statistical programming. He has three years of teaching experience in academic and professional settings and four years of research experience spanning topics in nonparametric statistics, applied mathematics, and artificial intelligence. He holds a master’s degree in statistics.
Get the Platinum pass or the Training pass to add this course to your package.
Leave a Comment or Question
Help us make this conference the best it can be for you. Have questions you'd like this speaker to address? Suggestions for issues that deserve extra attention? Feedback that you'd like to share with the speaker and other attendees?
Join the conversation here (requires login)
For conference registration information and customer service
For more information on community discounts and trade opportunities with O’Reilly conferences
For information on exhibiting or sponsoring a conference
For media/analyst press inquires