Executive Briefing: Data catalogs—Concepts, capabilities, and key platforms
Who is this presentation for?
- CIOs, CTOs, chief data officers, data stewards, database administrators (DBAs), data analysts, and BI architects
Data catalogs are not new; in fact they’ve been around for decades. But in the age of data lakes, self-service analytics, and data protection regulation, they’ve taken on new capabilities and renewed importance. There are a number of products in the market now, and they differ greatly, with a number of subcategories in the space.
Some data catalogs focus on data discoverability, others on governance and security. Some are oriented toward relational databases and data warehouses, while others are tied to more modern data sources. Many of the products use AI and machine learning to help automate the catalog build out, but almost all of them do so differently. And, while there are several startups in the field, public cloud providers have entries here, as do incumbent software megavendors.
Andrew Brust guides you through the importance of data catalogs, covers the range of data catalog capabilities, and explores the key players and their platforms. Andrew also provides an analysis of where the space is headed and what it will need to provide to address customer needs and pain points. You’ll get up to speed on the subject quickly, and no prior data catalog knowledge is required.
- A basic understanding of databases, data files, and data types
- General knowledge of data warehouses and data lakes (useful but not required)
What you'll learn
- Discover concepts of data catalogs including schema, metadata, data classification, business glossaries, tagging, data set endorsement, personally identifiable information (PII), sensitive data protection, regulatory compliance, data marketplaces, and more
- Explore the role of machine learning and AI in catalog automation and relationship discovery
Blue Badge Insights | ZDNet
Andrew Brust is founder and CEO of Blue Badge Insights, a blogger for ZDNet Big Data, and is a data and analytics-focused analyst for GigaOm. He’s the coauthor of Programming Microsoft SQL Server 2012, a Microsoft tech influencer, and advises data and analytics ISVs on winning in the market, solution providers on their service offerings, and customers on their analytics strategy. Andrew is an entrepreneur, a consulting veteran, a former research director, and a current Microsoft Data Platform MVP.
Leave a Comment or Question
Help us make this conference the best it can be for you. Have questions you'd like this speaker to address? Suggestions for issues that deserve extra attention? Feedback that you'd like to share with the speaker and other attendees?
Join the conversation here (requires login)
For conference registration information and customer service
For more information on community discounts and trade opportunities with O’Reilly conferences
For information on exhibiting or sponsoring a conference
View a complete list of Strata Data Conference contacts