SK Telecom's 5G network monitoring and 3D visualization on streaming technologies
Who is this presentation for?
- Architects and developers
As the largest mobile carrier in South Korea and global technology leader in the mobile industry, SK Telecom is preparing the commercial-scale deployment of 5G infrastructure. Mobile businesses depend upon the stable and reliable operation of the telecommunication network, which must stay consistent as technology evolves. One of the biggest changes coming with the deployment of 5G is a transformation of the telco network. In 4G infrastructure, most of the network functions are provided by NF (network function) equipment from telco hardware venders, but in 5G, most of the network functions run on virtual machines. As a result, the scope and target domain of the monitoring system should be expanded to cover not only status and events of virtualized NF (virtualized NF) and EMS (the element management system) but also those of infrastructures such as bare-metal servers, virtual machines, and hypervisors. Applications running on multiple MECs (mobile edge clouds) should be monitored and analyzed centrally as well.
Jonghyok Lee Chon Yong Lee discuss T-CORE, the company’s monitoring and service analytics platform, which monitors several most important systems, including TANGO (OSS system) and Tmap (car navigation service), and provides monitoring functionality for the NFV MANO (network functions virtualization management and orchestration) system, which includes hypervisors, hardware infrastructures, virtual machines, and virtualized network function applications running on virtual machines in it. 5G Infra Visualization, one of the T-CORE’s UI, visualizes real-time multilayer/multi-dc NFV infrastructure based on 3D virtualized space.
Join in to explore:
- The architecture of first version of T-CORE, which was originally developed for single data center monitoring, software components used, and how the development team evaluated candidate software for each part of the system
- Step-by-step approaches and architectures to expand a system’s coverage to application monitoring, multi-data-center scale, and virtualized 5G network infrastructure, including requirements from 5G technology and use cases, which can be applied to usual multi-data-center-scale application monitoring
- Architecture that can be generally used for both real-time monitoring and a data-providing hub for the company
- Concepts and examples of 5G Infra Visualization, which uses a 3D render engine to display the 5G network’s real-time physical, service, and environment data
- How to deploy real-time, multilayer, topology-based data in 3D space and deliver operators to support mission-critical services
- Lessons learned during operation
- Architecture for collecting data from a multi-data-center to a central hub
- Data collection configuration management for multi-data-center environments
- Features and architecture for the enterprise data provider and infra analytics platform simultaneously
- Processes and architecture for the analytics platform, which provides a full cycle from the development of anomaly detection model to the deployment of the model on real-time streaming data
- Architecture and tricks to visualize massive multilayer streaming data from a multi-data-center through 3D virtualized space
- Performance and optimization skills of the 5G Infra Visualization client application, which uses the Unity 3D render engine
- Analytics services delivered by T-CORE data scientists, which help operators develop their own anomaly detection models, along with several cases
- Familiarity with building architecture for real-time processing and analytics platforms
- Basic knowledge of real-time frameworks and in-memory solutions like Apache Spark, Kafka, and Redis
- A basic understanding of 3D visualization
What you'll learn
- Learn how SK Telecom monitors multi-data-center-scale applications and services as well as infrastructures and provides stored/real-time data to other systems for further processing and analysis * Explore considerations when building a centralized analytics platform and a standardized data platform
- Discover how SK Telecom visualizes 5G infrastructure data at a nationwide level, as well as service traffic of particular users, using a 3D engine
- Understand 5G network architecture and learn SK Telecom’s approach for stable and reliable 5G network operation
Jonghyok Lee is an architect at SK Telecom, where he’s designing T-CORE, the company’s monitoring and analytics platform. He has more than 20 years of experience in data processing. Previously, he was a senior architect at IBM and led the architecture design for several enterprise-wide data processing systems at many companies in various industries.
Chon Yong Lee is a project manager at SK Telecom, where he’s designing 5G Infra Visualization, the company’s telco network visualization system. He has 10 years of experience in telecom networks. He’s demonstrate the 5G Infra Visualization system twice at Mobile World Congress, in 2016 and 2018.
For conference registration information and customer service
For more information on community discounts and trade opportunities with O’Reilly conferences
For information on exhibiting or sponsoring a conference
For media/analyst press inquires