Design and build great APIs
Who is this presentation for?
- Developers, team leaders, and product managers
Mike Amundsen identifies key skills for creating consistently successful APIs and walks you through simple tools to turn those skills into working models, sketches, and running code. Based on the book Design and Build Great APIs, you’ll learn to identify a consistent pattern that focuses on designing, building, and deploying robust, well-designed, and resilient APIs for existing services.
- Write API stories
- Diagram APIs with web sequence diagrams
- Describe APIs with ALPS profiles
- Generate multiple working API sketches with API blueprint
- Select a candidate sketch to prototype with OpenAPISpec
- Build a fully functional API using Node.js, Express, and the DORR framework
- Test APIs with Postman and Newman
- Deploy your API to Heroku via Git and GitHub
- Experience with web programming
- Familiarity with HTTP and APIs
- A basic understanding of design thinking (useful but not required)
Materials or downloads needed in advance
- A laptop with editors and build tools for a Node.js environment
- Complete any additional requirements posted in the course GitHub repo prior to the conference
What you'll learn
- Identify a consistent pattern that focuses on designing, building, and deploying robust, well-designed, and resilient APIs for existing services
Mike Amundsen is an internationally known author and speaker who travels the world discussing network architecture, web development, and the intersection of technology and society. He’s helped companies large and small capitalize on the opportunities provided by APIs, microservices, and digital transformation. He’s authored numerous books and papers and contributed to the O’Reilly book Continuous API Management. He’s the author of RESTful Web Clients and coauthor of Microservice Architecture. His latest book is Design and Build Great APIs (Pragmatic Publishing).
Leave a Comment or Question
Help us make this conference the best it can be for you. Have questions you'd like this speaker to address? Suggestions for issues that deserve extra attention? Feedback that you'd like to share with the speaker and other attendees?
Join the conversation here (requires login)
For conference registration information and customer service
For more information on community discounts and trade opportunities with O’Reilly conferences
For information on exhibiting or sponsoring a conference
For media/analyst press inquires