Convince your manager
You're eager to attend OSCON, and why not? It has the potential to help you work smarter, and support your business and career goals. Below are some resources that can help you get approval to attend.
Before the conference: build support for your attendance
During the conference: track your participation
The conference website has useful features to help keep track of your participation. Use the Personal Schedule feature to track the sessions you attend (you must be registered to access the Personal Schedule).
A few weeks before the conference, you'll receive a notification when the Attendee Directory becomes available, so you can start to note and contact the people you're interested in meeting.
Post about the sessions you attend on social media—your colleagues will see what you're learning, and you can review your posts after the conference to recap. The official Twitter conference hashtag is #OSCON.
After the conference: create a report and share what you learned
After the conference, you'll receive an email with links listing the sessions you attended and people you've met (if you've marked them in your Personal Scheduler and Attendee Directory).
Use this information and the conference Trip Report Template to create a report detailing what you learned. Supplement your own materials with speaker slides and keynote videos, posted during and after the conference. Search for news articles, blog posts, and #OSCON tweets for additional reference materials to include.
The Platinum pass also comes with a Complete Video Compilation of all recorded presentations, so you can watch them with colleagues who were unable to attend.
The Top 5 Reasons to Attend OSCON 2015
- Stack exposure. At OSCON we don't just look at the full stack, but all the possibilities. You'll find out which technologies work best together and which have the capabilities you need. Learn from experts--see examples, learn from their mistakes, ask questions in person, and benefit from their wisdom. You'll be exposed to different stacks, get to test drive features, learn other programming paradigms, and walk away with a list of new strategies and tools to try back in the workplace.
- Solutions. With OSCON's new solution-based format, you can tackle your most pressing problems. Are you focusing on performance? Developing a game plan for mobile? Needing to scale your web application for the next 10,000 to 1,000,000 customers? We address some of the most common and complex problems software engineers face and give you ideas and solutions you can take back with you to fix it.
- Uninterrupted focus. It's a huge advantage to be away from work and constant interruptions, acquiring the knowledge you need to move projects forward. At OSCON, you can ask questions, compare notes with fellow attendees, and immerse yourself in the subject matter you've set out to learn. And with our new 2-day training sessions and 3-hour tutorials, you can delve as deeply into a topic as you need to.
- Stay current. Technology changes fast. Keep pace with new developments, best practices, products, services, and trends at OSCON. From start-ups to some of the world's most successful companies, see how others are incorporating open source technologies to achieve their business goals. Get your hands on some of those tools and technologies you've been hearing about, but haven't had the chance to try (Rust anyone?).
- 17 years of OSCON excellence. Through our long history of providing knowledge to software engineers, developers, IT practitioners, and others, we've learned what's important, which subjects go together, and how to teach them. Every year the number of quality proposals we receive for OSCON far exceeds the number of speaking slots available, making it easy for us to select the best and most relevant topics for OSCON attendees.