Streamlined Development of Dynamic, Database-Backed Web Applications
CodeGear 3rdRail is a complete, integrated development environment built from the ground up to bring high efficiency coding and visualization tools to Ruby on Rails development. Combining the straightforward yet powerful syntax of the Ruby language and the robust Rails framework with advanced productivity tools, 3rdRail streamlines the creation of database-backed web applications while retaining the full dynamic nature of Ruby programming. 3rdRail understands how a Ruby on Rails application works and the context of what the developer is doing.
This session will show how 3rdRail can help you code faster, and better. 3rd Rail facilitates agile projects where your ability to quickly deliver high-quality Ruby on Rails applications is the key to your success. Key developer productivity features demonstrated will include:
- Rails 2.0: Creating and working with projects based on Rails 2.0 (includes Wizards, Rails Explorer, Dependencies View, Project Commander, Code Completion, and Refactoring).
- RESTful Resources: Creating and working with RESTful Resources in both Rails 1.2 and 2.0 projects, including a “New Rails Resource” wizard.
- Fast Debugging: Fast, visual, debugging of Ruby and Rails projects, including Embedded Ruby (aka ERb, RHTML, HTML.ERB).
- Code Completion: Support for scenarios and patterns, including Sexy Migrations, Foxy Fixtures, the helper methods for Routes and Assertions, and more.
- Ruby/Rails Runtime: Latest stable versions of Ruby, RubyGems, Rails, etc, and latest stable versions of InterBase, MySQL, and SQLite.
- Rails Version Migration: Detection and resolution of common issues when migrating an application from Rails 1.2 to 2.0. For instance, if your application connects to an Oracle database, 3rdRail will detect the dependency and offer a resolution of installing the “activerecord-oracle-adapter” gem, which isn’t included in a default Rails 2.0 installation.
People planning to attend this session also want to see:
As an architect of development tools for CodeGear, Shelby Sanders is currently leading the 3rdRail team, whose goal is to create a comprehensive development environment for Ruby on Rails. Shelby has been developing software for more than fifteen years and was previously the technical lead of the JEE tooling and application server integrations team for CodeGear JBuilder, and is focused on building tools which maximize both individual and team productivity. Shelby currently lives and works in Scotts Valley, California.
Al Mannarino is a Lead Systems Engineer and Evangelist for CodeGear. Prior to transferring to CodeGear, his last 5 years was spent as a Senior SE helping to sell Borland’s ALM/SDO solutions. Al has over 25 years of Software Development experience including OOAD and the responsibility for developing and deploying production applications.
Prior to Borland, Al was an SE for Objectivity, Versant, Red Brick Systems, Information Builders, and an Electrical Engineer with Grumman Aerospace where he performed real application implementations on complex electrical-mechanical systems.
Al has a BS in Electrical Engineering from Manhattan College.