Convince Your Manager
You're eager to attend OSCON, O'Reilly's annual Open Source Convention, and why not? It's the key gathering of the open source community. But you're not sure how to convince your boss to send you. No problem—let us help you communicate the tangible benefits of the convention to make your case.
Before the Convention: Get Support for Your Attendance
During the Convention: Track Your Participation
- The convention website has useful features to help keep track of your participation. Use the Personal Schedule feature to track the sessions you attend (you must have a conferences account to create a personal schedule). Using this feature will give you a recap of the sessions you attended once the convention is over, making your OSCON Trip Report much easier to compile.
- A few weeks before the convention, registered attendees receive a notification when the Attendee Directory becomes available, so you can start to note and contact the people you’re interested in meeting.
- Posting about your sessions on social media is a great way to let colleagues see what you're learning. You can also review your posts after the convention for a recap. The official Twitter convention hashtag is #oscon.
After the Convention: Create a Report and Share What You Learned
- After the convention, you’ll have access to a listing of all the sessions you attended and people you’ve met (if you’ve marked them in your Personal Scheduler and Attendee Directory).
- Use this information and the Convention Trip Report Template to create a report detailing what you gained from the convention. Supplement your own materials with speaker slides and keynote videos, posted during and after the convention.
Top Five Reasons to Attend OSCON 2013
- Get straight to the epicenter of all things open source and get better at what you do. OSCON is around-the-clock, intense focus on crucial open source technologies. Whether you are improving your command of a language, getting exposure to new products and vendors, or absorbing tips to enhance your productivity, your time at OSCON will make you better at what you do. You'll take away skills and knowledge that you can apply immediately to your work.
- Learn from the best and make valuable connections. At OSCON, you'll hear from the best and most original minds in your field. Our lineup of speakers includes seasoned pros as well as notable newcomers to the scene; what sets them apart is their passion for the technology and willingness to share their expertise. OSCON is immersive, extreme learning at its best, driven by the energy and enthusiasm of all of its participants. The people you meet at OSCON may turn to out to be the most valuable connections in your career.
- Get solutions to your biggest challenges that you can apply today. List your biggest headaches and compare it to the OSCON program. Odds are, the solutions await you. Maybe you want to see what software other startups choose for their stack. Or explore the latest in open source hardware. Need to learn more about deploying open source in the cloud? The best open source choices for your latest project? Learn about these and more in OSCON's in-depth tutorials and sessions.
- See the latest developments, products, services, and career trends. At OSCON, you'll see first-hand how others—from start-ups to innovators to some of the world's most successful companies—are using open source technologies to achieve their goals. You'll identify the products and technologies that matter most to your work, and learn how other organizations structure their work, build teams, and plan for the future.
- Hear it first at OSCON. OSCON is not just about existing technologies. From the beginning, the open source revolution has shaped the way the world uses software, and some of the biggest innovations in the open source ecosystem are announced at OSCON. You'll see new ideas and directions emerge, and you'll be present when the latest research, best practices, technologies, and analytic approaches are unveiled.